Friday, July 12, 2013

parent trap

Since moving back home after graduating from college in June, I've noticed a swift and unsettling change. One day I'm living on the beach at UC Santa Barbara, riding to class on my cruiser without a helmet. Next thing you know, I'm trading in flip-flops for orthotics, sipping warm milk in place of wine, and listening to NPR.

How did I let this happen? At school, I downed coffee on weeknights, and Coors on weekends. But rooming with my parents again has changed me from care-free senior to senior citizen. I now take all advice about my health as if it came straight from the AARP. The potential for skin cancer never seemed too menacing when I was sunbathing on the bluffs in Southern California, but a week with the parental roommates warning me against UV rays and picking at their sun spots, I’m now donning my mom’s straw hat—and worse, thinking I look good in it!

I eat a half-pint of blueberries daily for the anti-oxidants; a few servings of lentils for all that fiber; and have started popping multi-vitamins again. Magnesium deficiency is nothing to toy with, as I’ve learned from Web M.D.

But I shouldn’t complain about this alternative lifestyle. I haven't been hungover since graduation, and reading the news everyday is oddly illuminating. My parents and I have taken to eating every dinner on the back deck, where my mother never misses an opportunity to exclaim over her new flowerbeds. I take two-hour hikes with my mom in the morning, and then two-hour naps in the afternoon, to compensate for the effort. Plus, the more I do with her, the more she treats me to iced lattes.

I still see the social value of a night out with twenty-somethings at a dive bar. I even still long for that cute leather purse on Pinterest—so my old self hasn’t completely fallen by the wayside. And I know there's an expiration date on my time here, as I’ll be moving to Spain to teach English in September. I worry that before then, though, the practical draw of a fanny pack will be too much to resist, and I'll have officially aged thirty years, just by living two months at home.


Me and the roomies--and there's that hat I sometimes borrow!

Update: This post appeared as a radio segment on KQED's 'Perspectives' on July 30, 2013. Click here to listen! 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds very familiar :) I loved hanging out in the garden and hiking with my mom when I was living at home for a while!! Cute, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 57% of the US population does not meet the US RDA for dietary intake of magnesium.[5] The kidneys are very efficient at maintaining body levels, but not in cases where the diet is deficient

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Help!!! I'm turning into my mother!!!" Very funny post. BTW, you do look good in the sun hat. Love, Your Mother

    ReplyDelete