Sunday, March 3, 2013

22nd birthday

            I turned 22 on Wednesday, which seems like a boring year except for the palindrome factor. But in fact, it was one of the greatest birthdays I've ever had, thanks to amazing housemates and friends (and calls and cards from family!).
           The day started out regularly enough; it was beautifully sunny and 70 degrees in February, and I skipped two out of three classes because birthday girls have that right. I knew my housemates were planning something due to mysterious notes like “Jenny: stay out of the freezer,” but I didn't know what. It turns out, they picked up on my love of the Food Network show Chopped, since many a night has been spent attempting to do homework while watching episode after episode. So the four of them reenacted the show for me: Deniz made the appetizer (corn and cabbage salad), Leah made the main course (homemade mac 'n cheese with ham), Maddy made the dessert (frozen Reese's chocolate peanut butter pie), and Kaitlin made the drink (citrus vodka lemonade). They all plated their dishes with artistic touches, wore customized chef hats, and individually presented their courses to me, and then explained what they would do with the 10,000 dollar prize. I went down the line and tasted each dish, playing the role of absurd judge/food critic, just like on the show: “I’m really getting the strong aged cheddar undercurrents of this dish, and there is such a pleasingly creamy texture that truly enhances the overall presentation." Then we all sat down and ate together. It was the most delicious meal ever, and honestly the most thoughtful idea for a birthday. I couldn't have asked for anything better!

Chefs Kaitlin, Maddy, Leah, and Deniz: Chopped champions
P.S. Half of you will read this post and think, “How adorable!!" The other half will question your friendship with me after reading this because I have just expressed such an unhealthy obsession with a cooking show. 

P.P.S.: Post on the amazing themed party to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment